
Sometimes I look at people in their 20s and wonder how we are all supposed to be okay.
We are young. We are supposed to be enjoying life, figuring things out, making memories, trying new things. And yet, so many of us are constantly worried about whether we’re doing enough, earning enough, achieving enough, or simply moving in the right direction.
Am I in the right career? Am I earning enough? Should I be doing more? Why is everyone else ahead of me? Will I ever have the life I imagined? Should I be in a relationship? Should I be getting married? Should I move to another city?
Somewhere between asking ourselves all these questions and pretending that we have everything under control, our 20s can start feeling strangely like a midlife crisis.
Except we’re nowhere near midlife.
We’re in our 20s.
We Thought Our 20s Would Be Different
When we were younger, being in your 20s looked exciting. You were finally going to be independent. You’d have a job, your own money, friends, travel, relationships, maybe even your dream career. Most importantly, you imagined that by then you would know what you were doing.
Nobody really tells you about the other side of it.
The confusion. The comparison. The uncertainty. The strange feeling that everyone else somehow received a map for adulthood and you didn’t.
You finish college, start working, and suddenly someone asks, “So, what’s your plan for the next five years?”
And you’re thinking, I don’t even know what I’m doing next Tuesday.
Everyone Seems to Be Moving Ahead
Social media makes this feeling even stronger.
You open Instagram or LinkedIn and within a few minutes you see someone getting promoted, someone buying a house, someone getting married, someone travelling, someone moving abroad, someone starting a business, or someone announcing another achievement.
Then you look at your own life.
Maybe you’re still trying to understand what you actually want. Maybe you’re in a job you don’t love. Maybe you’re saving money and can’t afford the lifestyle you see online. Maybe you’re single. Maybe you’re in a relationship but still unsure about the future.
Or maybe you’re doing perfectly fine, but somehow “fine” doesn’t feel good enough anymore.
The problem is that we don’t compare our lives with reality. We compare our ordinary days with everyone else’s best moments.
And then we wonder why we feel behind.
Suddenly, Time Feels Different
One of the strangest things about your 20s is realizing that time doesn’t feel the way it did when you were younger.
When you’re 15, 25 sounds incredibly old. Then you turn 25 and realize you still feel like the same person who was trying to figure things out at 18. The only difference is that now people expect you to have answers.
You start thinking about where you want to be at 30, then 35, then 40. Suddenly every decision feels important.
What if I choose the wrong career? What if I stay somewhere too long? What if I waste these years? What if I don’t meet the right person? What if I never become successful?
We’re young enough to have decades ahead of us, yet sometimes we feel like we’re already running out of time.
That’s a strange kind of pressure.
We Want Freedom and Stability at the Same Time
Our 20s are full of contradictions.
We want to travel and explore, but we also want financial stability. We want to take risks, but we’re afraid of failing. We want independence, but sometimes we wish someone would simply tell us what we’re supposed to do.
We want a successful career, but we don’t want our entire identity to become our job. We want relationships, but we’re afraid of settling down too early. We want to enjoy our youth, but we feel guilty whenever we’re not being productive.
It’s exhausting trying to want everything at once.
Maybe that’s part of why our 20s feel so confusing. We’re trying to build a future while still figuring out who we are.
The Career Question Never Really Ends
There is a particular kind of anxiety that comes with realizing you might not love what you studied for.
You spend years getting a degree, get a job, and then realize the job isn’t what you imagined. Suddenly you start wondering whether you’ve already made the wrong choice.
Should I change careers? Should I study again? Should I take a risk? Should I stay because the salary is good? Should I choose stability over happiness?
And every time you look around, someone seems to be doing exactly what they always wanted.
But we rarely see the uncertainty behind other people’s decisions. We see the promotion, not the doubts before it. We see the new job, not the fear of leaving the old one. We see the announcement, not the months of uncertainty that came before it.
Maybe everyone is questioning their choices too.
Maybe some people are just better at hiding it.
Friendships Change Too
Your 20s aren’t only about careers and money. Your relationships start changing as well.
People move to different cities. Some get married. Some become completely focused on work. Some start families. Some friendships simply become less frequent without any dramatic ending.
And suddenly, people you thought would always be around aren’t always available anymore.
You can have good friends and still feel lonely. Not because anyone did something wrong, but because everyone’s life starts moving in different directions.
Growing up sometimes means learning how to love people from a distance.
You don’t stop caring about them. You just stop sharing the same everyday life.
Then Come the Questions
At some point, the questions start coming from everywhere.
“When are you getting married?”
“Are you seeing someone?”
“When are you settling down?”
“What are you doing next?”
Sometimes these questions are asked casually, but when you’re already uncertain about your life, they can feel much heavier.
It’s easy to start believing that there is a correct timeline for adulthood and that you’re somehow falling behind it.
But who decided that by a certain age you should have a certain salary, relationship, house, career and lifestyle?
There isn’t one universal timeline.
And different doesn’t automatically mean behind.
Maybe We’re Not Having a Midlife Crisis
Maybe we’re experiencing something else.
Maybe our 20s are simply the first time we’re fully responsible for our own choices.
As children, many decisions are made for us. School, college, schedules, rules, expectations. Then suddenly you’re an adult and nobody tells you exactly what to do anymore.
You have freedom, but freedom comes with uncertainty.
You can change your career. Move cities. End a relationship. Start again. Study something completely different. Travel. Stay where you are.
There are so many possibilities that sometimes having too many choices feels almost as difficult as having none.
Maybe We’re Supposed to Feel Lost
We often talk about being lost as though it means something has gone wrong.
But maybe getting lost is part of figuring out where you actually want to go.
You don’t have to know your entire life at 24. You don’t have to have your career figured out at 25. You don’t have to know exactly who you’ll become at 27.
People change. What you want changes. Your priorities change. Things you once thought were incredibly important may stop mattering a few years later.
And that’s not failure.
That’s life.
Maybe the person you are at 22 isn’t supposed to be the person you are at 30.
What If You’re Not Behind?
This is probably the question we need to ask ourselves more often.
Not “Why am I behind?”
But “Behind whom?”
Someone can find their career at 22. Someone else can find it at 32. Someone can meet their partner at 21, while someone else may meet them at 38. Someone can travel the world in their 20s, while someone else spends those years building financial stability.
None of these lives are automatically better.
They’re simply different.
The problem is that we have become so used to seeing everyone’s timeline that we forget our own life is not supposed to look exactly like someone else’s.
Maybe We Don’t Need to Figure Everything Out
I think we put too much pressure on ourselves to have answers.
Maybe we need better questions instead.
What kind of life actually makes me happy?
What do I genuinely care about?
What am I doing because I want it, and what am I doing because everyone expects it?
What am I afraid to try?
What would I do if I stopped comparing myself?
What kind of person do I want to become?
Some of these questions won’t have immediate answers. Some may take years.
That’s okay.
You are allowed to change your mind.
You’re allowed to start over.
You’re allowed to take a different path from the one you imagined at 18.
Maybe Our 20s Aren’t a Crisis
Maybe our 20s are simply the first chapter where we realize that we are the ones holding the pen.
And that’s scary.
We’ll make wrong decisions. We’ll stay somewhere too long. We’ll leave too early. We’ll lose people. We’ll change careers. We’ll start again. We’ll make mistakes and hopefully learn from them.
Maybe the goal of your 20s isn’t to build a perfect life.
Maybe it’s to slowly build a life that actually feels like yours.
So if you’re in your 20s and you feel confused, behind, uncertain, or strangely exhausted by the pressure to figure everything out, maybe nothing is wrong with you.
Maybe you’re just growing.
And growing is rarely as neat as we imagine it will be.
Perhaps we’re not having a midlife crisis after all.
Perhaps we’re simply meeting adulthood for the first time.
No comments:
Post a Comment